Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Cottage Cheese Sneeze Version 2.0

As I mentioned in Monday's post, my son has been suffering from a summer cold.  This has made for a challenging week.  My son does not want to eat much at meals, has not been sleeping well, and he has been spitting up a lot, something he has not done for about a month or so.  To say the least, I am worn out.

But being worn out hardly describes how I feel.  In fact, I am exhausted.  How does an 8 month old with a cold cause such exhaustion?  Well, he decides to practice sharing.  And by sharing, I mean he gave me his cold.  I now also have the cottage cheese sneeze.  It is the reason I have not posted since Monday.

On Monday night, my nose and throat were a mess.  I ended up sleeping (I use that term loosely here) on the couch because it was the only place I could find relief from my burning throat and waterfall of a nose.  Thus, when my son woke up at 6:30 on Tuesday, I was not pleased.  Although he was plenty happy all day, I could barely summon the strength to lift him or move him.  He ended up spending much of the day playing by himself on the floor while I moaned and acted as if I was dying on the couch.  I felt awful for my son, but as my wife likes to preach, so long as we're both alive when she arrives home, we should consider the day a success.  Plus, it sure is nice not to have to go to an office when you feel like that.

Thankfully, my wife had a short day at work and was home around 4.  I immediately handed her our son and dove for the bed.  Three hours later, I felt much more like myself.

Wednesday was a similar day.  My wife had a half day, and I was able to relax a lot more.

We spent today with my mom and my sister, and that made for a speedy day.  Tomorrow a friend is coming over for lunch, and that should help as well.  It is really nice having so much time to spend with family and friends now.

All-in-all, a few lousy days in there, but I'm feeling better and glad to be back.  My son and I both survived, so we consider them successful days.  And the lesson learned: Not all things are meant to be shared.

1 comment:

  1. I had a good laugh at the "while I moaned and acted as if I was dying on the couch" part. That's one of the roughest parts about being a parent, specifically a stay-at-home parent: there are no sick days. Just wait until the stomach flu makes the rounds! :-)

    Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete